Thursday, April 3, 2008

Global Gateway

http://www.heifer.org/
Heifer International is a wonderful non-profit group. If you get a chance, check out the website!
You can see a short clip of another school group doing the same thing that Fisher's group did...only this one doesn't have severe thunderstorms! The clip can be found at http://www.edutopia.org/night-global-village
Orientation



Urban slum - this is where Fisher's group stayed. The boys were to sleep in the front shack and girls in the back shack...the boys' shack got flooded and ALL of them slept in the back shack. Fisher said he "slept" curled up in a ball in the corner with rain dripping on him. No one had room to stretch out. I think there were about 14 of them in one 8 X 10 shack. And the fire got put out by the rain so there was no dinner before bed. A true experience of a life of poverty.
The only complaint I heard from any of the students when they returned was from a boy who said he was disappointed he was in the "rich" country. He got to sleep on a mattress and they were the only group who ate dinner that night.
This had to be removed from their shack before they could turn in for the night.



I'm not sure if they are washing dishes here or preparing to cook...I"ll have to check with Fisher.


No comments: